Coaching in Different Industries
The job market across the world is gradually changing given the advancement in sectors such as technology and business. As much as the job market may seem to be widening landing on an actual job is still a problem to many due to stiff competition among job seekers. Even talented and qualified candidates sometimes miss the chance to showcase their experience and skill all because they do not know exactly how to go about a perfect resume or job description. Similarly, those with jobs currently may want to advance their career by shifting industries though they may not be sure about the means to do so. Similarly, students transitioning from universities or colleges into the workforce need updated information about different industries or professions out there.
This is why the input of career coaches is important. Employees and job seekers need the guidance or advice of a professional such as a career coach to make the right career choices. Coaching is essential in boosting the performance of an individual or development of skills. Trust and confidentiality are the building blocks of coaching. Every session in coaching involves a coach and a person being coached. The coach challenges the coachee (individual being coached ) and aims at helping the individual to get answers to their problem. Most organizations and individuals alike consider coaching as a corrective tool or a positive approach in exploring ambitions or goals and achieving them.
Roles of a Career Coach
The sole role of a career coach is not to help you get a job in whichever industry you are based but he or she only offers a reflection of your current state and an actionable way forward. Coaches enhance your awareness regarding your barriers, aspirations, goals, objectives, desires, strengths and weaknesses. Most people wonder if a career coach has to be specialized in the field that you are in. Let us say you are based in the IT profession, is it necessary that your coach is specialized in IT? The truth is that it is good to seek a career coach that is specialized in your field though a coach from any other industry or profession will have a substantial impact on your career as well. The following are some of the roles played by career coach:
- Provide clarity regarding resumes, interviews, employment options and requirements of the job market.
- Avail information resumes, interviews, employment options and requirements of the job market.
- They act as referral agents due to their knowledge and experience
- They are guides is the career journey
Significance of a Career Coach
A certificate of a degree is an important step towards employment but it does not guarantee employment. You may decide to change your career, polish your resume, research on opportunities in your preferred field and have your LinkedIn profile updated but at the end of the day, the input of a coach may still be paramount. Below are some of the reasons why career coaches are significant in your career:
- Increases your self-insight – a good career coach will help to take a more realistic perception of yourself. You get to familiarize with your potential and abilities. Additionally, you get a chance to fortify your strengths and work on your weakness. In short, a career coach helps achieve a wholesome analysis for you.
- Gives a comprehensive understanding of your career – your career coach helps you to understand what your career entails and the options available for the same.
3. Motivates you – sometimes all you need to know is that you are on the right track and there is hope for tomorrow. This is what your career coach should do. Moreover, he or she should also grow your confidence and help you believe in yourself.
4. Offers a sense of direction in your career – the sense of direction should not be necessarily detailed but an overview of what to expect in future.
Career Coaching Benefits
The benefits that you could reap from a career coach are numerous. If you want to have a perfect understanding of the job market, know your choices and follow your true calling then a career coach is the way to go. Here are the benefits:
- Readies you for interviews; job interview with experienced recruiters could be very frustrating. Therefore, proper preparation is imperative. Most career coaches bear sufficient information regarding what an interview requires. Thus, a career coach with real-life insights about recruiting will help you prepare for your interview.
- Builds you the ideal resume; It is rare to get a job by simply updating your current resume and sending out to employers. However, your career coach will help you to design and come up with a resume that is tailored to meet the requirements of the employer you seek to work with.
- Equips you with essential career skills; decision making among other career skills are quite important to you as an active job seeker. The will guide you as you progress through your profession or field.
- Helps you build connections; at times the job market is about who you know. This means that connections are valuable since they link you directly to the veterans and industrial leaders that may unlock more opportunities. Coaches have the connections and you could have them too.
- Facilitates informed decision making regarding career progress; in case you are planning to shift from an IT profession to a business profession, you should beware of the short-term and long-term consequences alike. Working with a coach, you understand the progress of your career and give you the basic steps to help you achieve your goal.
- Builds your confidence; this is very important especially if you are intending to look for another job. Working with a career coach will ensure that feel valuable in the job market and instills in you the confidence that you are the perfect option or you stand out despite completion.
- You learn important skills necessary in the current job market; the job market and the working environments are ever changing. Therefore, for you to be in the right position for success, it is crucial for you to be familiar with these skills. Career coaches are experienced in identifying prospective employers; hence, they will prepare you for the competitive job market.
- Helps you set goals; in order for you to have a smooth progress in your career, it is essential for you to have certain goals set that you will always be aiming to achieve. Coaches will give you an idea of what you need to include in your goals.
Generally, coaches are key players in your career or profession. There is so much information regarding the job market, employers, and employment that you may not be familiar with. Thus, in whichever industry or profession you may be, working with a career coach is beneficial.